Prevent better than cure
Prevent virus or malware infection Microsoft Windows operating system is much better than having to act when it has already been infected.
Although the Windows operating system is the weakest and most vulnerable, but there are some good advice that if you respect them it can rid you of most threats:
- Antivirus: Use a good antivirus such as ESET, Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc. Preferably paid products, not free products. That doesn’t guarantee that you won’t get contaminated, it doesn’t detect all viruses or malware, but it will slow down many of them.
- Updates: Always keep your antivirus up to date. That way you’ll have the newest signatures and allow it to detect newer malware or viruses. Of course, updating software such as programs and operating system is important for patching vulnerabilities that can pose security or entry risks to these threats.
- Backup: Make frequent backups so that your data is safe, and so, in case you have to format or get lost from the infection, you will not lose it.
- Don’t use third-party sources: when you want to install a program, you should always download it from the official website of the developer. For example, downloadIng Acrobat from Adobe and not from other websites like Softonic, etc., because on this type of websites installers are contaminated with annoying malware or viruses.
- Avoid pirated software: Pirate programs are usually modified in your code, and cracks or keygens that are used could be viruses or malware.